E. Crane Computing Support Forum

Providing support for all E. Crane Computing products, including POWERGEN, PBSERVICE, HARPB, VERSIONEDIT, PBLRESCUE, and PBLEXPLORER.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-28 05:57:02

yngvefaen

Re: Upgrade to PowerGen 6.5 $$HEX issue rises from the dead

I'm having the same problem (I think), all non-english characters I use in powerbuilder (Only tested with the 3 extra characters in the norwegian alphabet) get stored in CVS as $$HEX something, and powergen does not fix this when I bootstrap import, the hex-strings appear in my application regardless of settings in Import... options under Source Encoding Options.

I am using PB 10.5 and PG 6.5.0.12

Attached is some example code
"$$HEX1$$c500$$ENDHEX$$rsmodell" is supposed to be shown as "Årsmodell" in the application, but the hexcodes are still present in the application after import and creation by powergen

#2 2007-07-02 09:58:35

Phil

Have you set the Import option for the correct (HEXASCII) source encoding?

Regards,

Phil

#3 2006-09-25 22:45:56

GregSchneider

Hi,
    We have just upgraded to PowerBuilder 10.5 build 5048 and  downloaded PowerGen 6.5 build 12 for our builds using the existing builds scripts we had (I did change the reference to the new Pwrgn105 executable) when we tested the build we found all the $$HEX issues we had with the upgrade to PB 10 had risen from the dead.

This was really weird as we are using the /H /I_SE=HEXASCII parameter when calling PowerGen. Upon further investigation I noticed that in the Import... options under Source Encoding Options this was set to 'Auto-detect encoding (HEXASCII or ANSI)' I wondered if this was overriding the parms I set in the build command string and not picking up the correct encoding, so I set the option to 'HEXASCII' and the $$HEX issue was gone again.

Should the PowerGen import encoding override the encoding which is specified as part of the build command? And as mentioned above it also seems that the Auto-detect encoding is not working and picking up that the source is HEXASCII.

Anyway just thought I would let you know in case anyone else has the same issue.

Regards,

Greg Schneider
Department of Justice

#4 2006-10-06 12:35:07

Phil

Greg,

I'll look into this and update you and the forum.

Regards,

Phil

#5 2006-10-17 08:08:42

Phil

Greg,

The PowerGen command line to set Registry settings must appear on its own command line, i.e. Pwrgn105.exe /H /I_SE=HEXASCII.  Is it possible you are including the "/H /I_SE=HEXASCII" syntax as part of another command?

I couldn't reproduce this using Build 12.  There was a problem in auto-detecting the import encoding in the initial V6.5 release, but his was corrected in Build 12.

If you're still having trouble, let me know.

Regards,

Phil

#6 2007-06-01 07:36:05

fx576

Hi,

I also have the same problem but here the import option HEXASCII is not set from the gen file but well on the Registry of the build server.

With PG6.0.0.28 for PB10.0 it was working OK, but now with PG6.5.0.12 for PB10.5 not.

I tried all possible options (ANSI/HEXASCII/automatic) even the option HEXASCII for both import/export.

Any idee how to solve it?

Thanks,
Pierre.

#7 2007-06-04 06:17:32

Phil

Pierre,

Can you send a sample of one of the objects that wont import properly?  Im not aware of any issues with this, but I can check it out quickly with one of your objects.

Phil

#8 2007-07-23 05:46:15

yngvefaen

Like I said,
"the hex-strings appear in my application regardless of settings in Import... options under Source Encoding Options."

I've tried them all, and it doesn't work. All three options produce the same result

Regards,

Yngve

#9 2007-07-25 01:13:00

yngvefaen

The problem fixed itself when I tried the new powergen 7.0 beta.

Regards,

Yngve

Board footer