E. Crane Computing Support Forum

Providing support for all E. Crane Computing products, including POWERGEN, PBSERVICE, HARPB, VERSIONEDIT, PBLRESCUE, and PBLEXPLORER.

You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-26 10:05:08

achiou

Re: Considering the PowerGen tool

We are researching the PowerGen tool as a possible solution to our build/Source control challenges.

Background: We have just been through a major release of a PB 8.0.3 application using GLV within PB for a major gov't client. Most of the builds were made without a hitch, but a few times, there were issues with the builds that made us mistrust that GLV always worked.  In one case the build was made while an object was checked out (but the build did not read the checked out copy, it read the original copy). These were full builds too - not incremental builds. In addition to those hurdles that we eventually got past but still don't fully understand, we are also trying to decide whether we need a full fledged Version Control system integrated with Powerbuilder. We already have Version Manager and use it for our Web development projects and database scripts, but not for PB ongoing development (only PBLS/PBDs once delievered to the client).  Some developers see the benefit - others see the hassle of maintaining correct version labels on thousands of objects.

Perhaps Powergen is our solution to both. When I read a little more about Powergen - it seems that it uses Sybase's Orcascript to interface with the PB objects and libraries. Is that correct? If so, then how do I know that some of the same issues I have within the library painter GLV process won't show up as well in PowerGen?

Any info anyone has on how Powergen can help improve our CM process without the headaches would be appreciated. I will have to make the case with our CM manager and project manager.

Andrea

#2 2003-08-26 14:04:58

Phil

Re: Considering the PowerGen tool

PowerGen will perform the build functions in your process (but does not have version control functions).  In particular it will synchronize your PBLs to source objects very reliably and you can automate the process because it has command line functions to do this (in addition to the GUI).

GLV is documented to fail for some ill-defined volume of changes.  PowerGen has proven to work for any volume of changes.  In fact it can be used to reconstruct the PBLs from scratch.

Regards,

Phil

Board footer