E. Crane Computing Support Forum

Providing support for all E. Crane Computing products, including POWERGEN, PBSERVICE, HARPB, VERSIONEDIT, PBLRESCUE, and PBLEXPLORER.

You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-11 03:34:02

stuartrk

Re: Powergen creating invalid targets

On a nightly basis, we have batch files that pull source from PVCS (v 6.8.13) and use PowerGen (v 5.0.0.6) to create our PB8 pbls.  After that, the batch deploys the PB components to Jaguar.

The problem we are seeing is that the call to PowerGen that creates the pbls will sometimes fail and return a "result 1".  When opening the workspace to deploy, PB will offer a message "Invalid Target.  Target will be removed from workspace". 

Points of interest:
  *** If we pause the batch after all the PowerGens, but before the deploys, we can manually sync with the PBGs to generate good pbls without having to pull the source from pvcs again.  The manual sync is always successful even though source code has not changed and is identical to when it failed within the batch.

*** The objects on which PowerGen chokes are inevitably the same ones.  These objects have not been modified in some time.  About 30% of the time they make it through the batch process without any problems.  The other 70% of the time that they are Gen'ed, they will return a result 1.

*** 99% of the objects being Gen'ed never exhibit any problems at all.

We are considering putting code in the batch that will check for a result 1 and, if found, recursively call PowerGen until we get a good result.  We would rather, however, learn what is causing the problem so it could be fixed.

Any ideas?

Stuart<UL></UL><UL></UL><UL></UL>

#2 2003-09-11 08:12:03

Phil

This is a strange result to say the least, especially the intermittent behavior.

Can you send the output log from a case where the result is a &quot;1&quot;?  Also send your project file.  Send here or to support@ecrane.com.

This should be working flawlessly, so I'm suspecting we can resolve this fairly quickly.

Regards,

Phil 

#3 2003-09-11 10:28:37

stuartrk

I emailed the requested files.

The issue_rev_dao object is the one that is causing problems in this instance.  You will see the &quot;result 1&quot; in the log file.

#4 2003-09-11 13:18:07

Phil

Stuart,

The log file you sent is not the one produced by PowerGen, but, I believe, by your batch file that calls PowerGen.  From the project file that you sent it looks like the PowerGen produced log is named Rsup_Log_sync.log.  Can you find that one and send it? Thanks.

#5 2003-09-12 04:46:15

stuartrk

the requested log file is one that gets overwritten every night.  Wouldn't you know it... last night everything worked so there were no logfiles that would be helpful for your analysis.  I will send one next time we have a broken build. 

Board footer