E. Crane Computing Support Forum

Providing support for all E. Crane Computing products, including POWERGEN, PBSERVICE, HARPB, VERSIONEDIT, PBLRESCUE, and PBLEXPLORER.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-26 12:14:07

louwho

Performance question

I am not a PowerBuilder\PowerGen type.  I am an InstallShield\Jenkins build type.   So please bear with me.  Every once in a while the nightly build takes a couple of hours longer, then it goes back down for a month or so, and then goes up again.

I am not sure at this point if this is a build system problem, or PowerGen problem.  I have tracked it down to this line in the .rb file...

`start \"PWRGEN\" /Wait \"#{@pgen_exe}\" /K=cornerstone.gen /A=cstone /PBG /NRP /G /L=#{gen_log_foundation_pbls}`

Can changes that the developers make to the code have this kind of affect on the build?

We changed the PowerBuilder version about 7 months ago.  In the .rb file, we went from Pwrgn12.exe to Pwrgn17.exe.  Should any of the arguments in the PWRGEN line above have changed when we changed versions?  I should note that on our older build system, with the previous version of PowerBuilder, that we also had this problem.

When executing the PWRGEN command, is there any way of turning on addition logging (like the time at the beginning of every line)?

Is there any other information that I can provide here that would help
you answer my questions?

#2 2019-06-06 09:52:55

admin
Administrator

Re: Performance question

You're executing the Synchronize function.  The performance can depend on many things.  Among these:

1. The number of files which have changed since the last build.
2. Whether or not you're doing a full regeneration after the Synchronize.  This is an Import Option and probably not necessary on a nightly basis.
3. Other processes running on the same machine: backups, virus checking, etc.

Send the output logs of the different builds and we'll take a look.

Regards,
Phil

Board footer